The UPEI Senate approved a new strategic research plan titled Strategic Research Plan (2023–2028): Roadmap to Research Excellence. The plan aims to build upon the University’s past success and commitment to excellence in research. Its goals and objectives span a broad range of intellectual, scholarly, and creative endeavours at the University. During the consultation process, five signature areas of excellence emerged:
- Humanity, Justice, and Organizations;
- Environmental Stewardship;
- Healthy Communities;
- Healthy Animals; and
- Sustainable Development.
Other areas that were identified crossed boundaries of multiple fields: Bioscience; Island Studies; Data Science; and One Health. The plan describes how UPEI supports the full range of research programs across the University, including those that may not fall within one of the signature areas.
The number of graduate students at UPEI has grown in the past decade by more than 200 per cent, with several new programs offered across our academic faculties and schools.
UPEI's research expertise includes:
- 3 Canada Research Chairs
- 1 Canada Excellence Research Chair
- 1 UNESCO Chair
- 3 Endowed Chairs
- 1 Chair of L.M. Montgomery Studies, and Applied Communication, Leadership, and Culture
- 8 research institutes and centres
- A world-class veterinary school and teaching hospital